Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Graveyard...Why Not?


One of the worst things in life is getting stuck with a lingering question that keeps popping in and out of your head while you go out and try to make a living for yourself. A question that goes in and out but you don’t get to answer because you are preoccupied with an activity called work. What is worst is if that question is directly related to it. In other words, a work-related question.

Let me give you an idea what I am driving at. I’ve been doing closing calls for a company for more than a year but its only now that I came to ask myself, why am I working at this unholy hour when I do have a choice of getting something that will make me a part of the “normal” yuppie crowd. Is it the pay that I am receiving? Hmm, something to ponder even more but that’s a question that can be argued upon with a few rounds of beer so let's leave that behind, shall we? Maybe there is something more! So the question now is, what makes the graveyard shift so attractive that I just want to reach out and grab it like a long lost friend?

I enlisted the help of some so-called "experts" when it comes to doing the graveyard shift and they came up with almost the same answers. Normal answers like hassle free traffic to and from the office stands to be the best reason to do graveyard. Yeah, I think they do have a very good point there. I would rather traverse the Avenue knowing that I wouldn’t get to see yuppies, old time employees and newly grads strolling along and making the beeline to the nearest building entrance.


Another reason would be the less stress on your pocket. I can probably say that I can survive one shift with P20.00 in my pocket because I don’t have to worry about any parking fee and other incidentals that come along with doing a morning shift. Yes, it’s less expensive in the evening.Some of my more fashionable "experts" would reason out laxity in dress code as one big factor why graveyard is so cool. Doing the morning shift gives you the feeling of formality. The graveyard shift provides you with an outlet to be whatever you are, just as long as it is within the bounds of the company's rules and regulations. Call Center “owls”, when it comes to fashion, only have one motto, diversity. It is only here in this campaign that you could see you the ever-present fashionista and the much maligned baduy crowd and everything else in between.

Some also consider the non-presence of the sun as one big factor why they choose to do graveyard. I could speak for myself, I am what you might call a native stud not part of the mestizo crowd so you could just probably imagine the relief I feel every time I go to work.
With all factors considered. I thought long and hard and I came to the conclusion that hey, its not all of the above mentioned factors that made me realize that I made a good decision with sticking to graveyard. It’s the vibe, the feel that you are doing something out of the ordinary; something that feels different from the norm. Sure, I'll graduate eventually into a morning shift, that comes with a shift in priorities. But as of now, I will relish the fact that some time within my so called life, I came to do something different and I enjoyed it, made some money out of it and made some lasting relationships along the way.

So graveyard isn’t that bad after all.